Thursday 15 September 2016

TBT: Orla Gartland 'Roots'

Orla Gartland is an Irish singer/songwriter from Dublin who manages to combine folk and pop to make a unique sound.

This week I put my music library on shuffle and Orla's song 'Roots' popped up. It was a refreshing sound that I hadn't heard in a while so thought I would share it with you today.

'Roots' was released as the title track of Gartland's 'Roots' EP in 2013.

The track starts with a simple drum machine-esque beat layered with a classic guitar pattern - the folk pop fusion is already evident.

Orla's vocal enters in providing a really pretty, soft tone. I particularly like the fact that Orla's Irish accent comes through when she is singing, providing a sort of authentic feeling.

The song itself, in my interpretation, is about new beginnings, not being afraid to chase your dreams and having faith in yourself.



Backing vocals are added emphasising the lines 'let's get out of here, let's get out of here.'

To me, this is like the voices in your head persuading you to just go for it.

'All that we are is in the beat of our hearts and I know we're ready to dive into the unknown.'

This is the standout line of the chorus for me.

It really summarises the narrative of the song, mentioned above. You don't necessarily need the safety blanket of possessions or familiarity, you just need to believe in yourself, keep your morals, look to the sky and try.

Towards the end of the track there is a bit of a break down moment where the instrumentation is taken away to just claps and a group vocal almost chanting the inspiring chorus. I imagine this would be very emotive live.

 Overall, 'Roots' is a feel good, folk pop fusion that will get your feet tapping.


Until next time...

@wewantgoodmusic


No comments:

Post a Comment